Monday, April 16, 2018

I’m writing to exercise my demons. I’m starting to think this is why I’ve had such problems writing novels. I’m just working on gutting out all the anxieties, unhappiness, et cetera inside of me. It’s not so much about as creating a story as it is getting rid of this excess. Cutting the fat. Stephen King once wrote in a foreword to one of his short story collections that we all have a mind-filter, and what doesn’t get filtered out, what’s too large to fall through, those are the things that shape our fears. And this is why interests and fear is so subjective. It’s a simple idea, but it’s a nice image. And I feel like this is getting rid of all the crud that doesn’t get automatically filtered out. I’ve got to try and exercise it on the page.


I feel better. Not sure what else to put down anymore, so I think this is the end.


Stuff That I’m Currently Pretty Into:


Music:

There isn’t an album or song I’m currently really feeling, I’ve been listening to a lot of classic pop-punk stuff, like ‘90s, early ‘00s. The perfect song I can think of to sum this up is probably ‘Stupid Kid’ by Alkaline Trio. Just fun, and from an era that makes more sense to me than this one. However ‘the Wonder Years’ just put out ‘Sister Cities’ a few weeks ago and I’m amping up to see them in May. It’s a solid album, if not as good as ‘No Closer to Heaven’, which is genuinely great.


TV:

Not much exciting going on now. Been re-discovering how much I love ‘Boy Meets World’ on Hulu mostly. Have just decided I’d like to finish season 1 of ‘Westworld’ since the second season is dropped like next week. Basically anything new has been barren since I finished ‘Mindhunter’ a couple months ago.


Movies:

Saw some great ones awhile ago, especially ‘Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri’. ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ is a total great time...Jeff Golblum as ‘the Grandmaster’. An easy pick. Re-invigorated not just my interest in the ‘Thor’ franchise but the MCU in general. Now I’m motivated to see ‘Black Panther’ so I’m ready to see ‘Infinity War’ at the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment